Here’s how to configure remote access to an ESX host. Configuring the ports in this way (4801, 4802) make it easier to configure multiple hosts.
In your firewall:
- NAT the following:
- 4801 TCP – NAT to HTTPS to host. For multiple hosts also use 4802, 4803
- 4901 TCP – NAT to 5989 to host. For multiple hosts also use 4902, 4903
- 902 TCP – NAT to original to host. Used for console access. Can only be NATed to one host at a time
- 5480 TCP – NAT to HTTPS to vSphere Server if want remote access to it.
- Test by going connecting to the host from the outside via it’s WAN IP:4801. You should be able to connect it and also open the console successfully.
Last used to configure remote access to ESX 6.7 Update 1 on a Dell PowerEdge T330 in May, 2019.
Jason works as a project specialist at an IT MSP in Erie, Pennsylvania, USA. He’s an IT/security professional with 17 years experience.