Plan of Attack:
- Give every 365 user that’ll need to use Office Apps on the RDS a Microsoft 365 Business Premium licensing (replacing their existing license that gives them Office Apps). Can also use Volume Licensing. Standard licensing is not sufficient.
- Download/generate Office Apps installer via Office Deployment Tool and https://config.office.com.
- Install Office Apps on RDS via Office Deployment Tool.
- The first time users log into the RDS and open any Office app, they’ll be prompted to sign in with their 365 account to activate.
- Disable Outlook caching which is enabled by default so that RDS hard drive space doesn’t get eaten up by everyone’s offline cache:
- The pertinent registry key is: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Office\\Outlook\OST]
- See this guide: https://support.mycomp.ch/957546-How-to-Prevent-or-Force-Outlook-Cached-Exchange-Mode-Per-Machine
Jason works as a project specialist at an IT MSP in Erie, Pennsylvania, USA. He’s an IT/security professional with 20 years experience.